Friday, July 18, 2014

Flannel Friday: Five Spring Flowers

For my contribution to Flannel Friday this week I am sharing flowers I made to use at our upcoming "Fizz, Boom, Grow!" storytime. They were cut out of felt and glued together with Tacky Glue.


Here is the accompanying rhyme:

Five Spring Flowers
Five spring flowers, all in a row.
The first one said: "We need rain to grow!"
The second one said: "Oh, my we need water!"
The third one said: "Yes it is getting hotter!"
The fourth one said: "I see clouds in the sky!"
The fifth one said: "I wonder why?"

Then BOOM went the thunder,
And ZAP went the lightning,
That springtime storm was really frightening!
But the flowers weren't worried-no, no, no
The rain helped them to grow, grow, grow!

I originally found this rhyme at Preschool Education. One of the things I really like about this rhyme is how it emphasizes that flowers need water to grow. I thought this was an important science concept to include in a science storytime about living and growing things. You could even decide to reinforce this point by having the kids place felt rain drops on the flannelboard by the flowers.

This week's Flannel Friday Roundup is hosted by Lisa at Libraryland. To participate in upcoming roundups, or get more information head over to the Flannel Friday Blog or Pinterest page. You can also follow #flannelstorytime on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment