Thursday, April 3, 2014

Kidding Around: Bunny Hop

For our monthly K-2nd grade program this April, I decided to hold a Bunny Hop. I had heard of the theme being done at another library awhile back and knew I could come up with bunny themed activities the kids would enjoy. I ended up basically "bunnifying" several of my favorite children's games.

We had 11 kids within the age group show up, plus a few slightly younger siblings to join in the fun. I started out with bunny ears for all participants. I found a pattern and assembled them as much as possible before the program began. I had the kids write their names on their bunny ears (writing practice plus a name tag stand in!). I had my own bunny headband I got at the dollar store a few years ago.

As usual we started by talking about our theme for a few minutes. One boy had a pet bunny and was happy to share details about it to the group.

Our first game was "Bunny Tag". It was basically regular tag, but done while hopping. It was a great way to burn the kid's energy out before proceeding to the rest of the program.

Next we played Pin the Tail on the Bunny. I used a template found here. This game is always a big hit with the kids. It is definitely a standby game that can fit almost any theme.



Our final game was "Bunny, Bunny, Hop", which was basically a modified version of "Duck, Duck, Goose". Yes, the kids had to hop around the circle. And yes, with their bunny ears it was very cute.

As usual, I ended with our craft. This month's was decorating a bunny picture with marshmallows. It was somewhat hit or miss with the kids, mostly because half of them would just rather eat the marshmallows. 

For our snack, the kids enjoyed "bunny tails" (powdered doughnut holes), carrots, and orange Hawaiian Punch. Each child also got a bunny shaped marshmallow Peep.

I think this program went pretty well. The kids seemed to have fun and almost all my books on rabbits got checked out. It was an easy to plan program I would definitely do again.

Next month's "Kidding Around" will be a Spiderman Party. I look forward to updating about how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment