The Opening Ceremony (a.k.a. my basic overview of the program):
- I limited this event to 12 kids and to Grades 3-6.
- The only expense involved was for about 6 packs of balloons, all purchased at my local dollar store. These balloons could have probably accommodated an even bigger group than I had.
- The program ran just short of 1 hour.
- Hula Hoop Toss: I got this idea from this site and thought it fit perfectly. The basic idea is that you label balloons with point values and tape them to the floor. The kids toss the hula hoops and earn points for each one that lands over a balloon.
- Balloon Volleyball: An old sheet, some chairs and a balloon are all the equipment you need for this one. Split the kids into teams and let them enjoy!
- Balloon Baseball: We used a balloon as the ball and a piece of pool noodle as our bat as we played a simple and quick game of baseball.
- Balloon Races: The kids had to race while they hit balloons to keep them in the air.
- Waddle Races: For this race, they had to race with balloons between their legs. Definitely one of the funnier moments of this program!
- Sweep the Balloon: I found this race at Finding Sanity. We didn't get to this race, but the way it would have been done would have been having the kids use a broom to sweep a balloon across the room as fast as possible.
- Balloon Popping Competition: To end the program we all raced to pop as many balloons as they could within a few minute time period.
The Closing Ceremony (a.k.a. my tips and tricks):
- Blow up the balloons beforehand to save as much time as possible.
- Make sure to review the rules of games such as baseball and volleyball before playing the balloon versions. It will come in handy in resolving any situations that arise during play.
- Prizes aren't necessary, but can be fun. All my kids got a simple certificate to take home in honor of their participation.
If you have any questions about this program (or any others on this site) feel free to get in touch. Looking forward to the fall and updating you on all the fun stuff we'll have going on!