I took advantage of our circulation desk and paper we had on hand to create a "Who is your hero?" board.
In addition to keeping kids busy while they wait to check out books, this board has many literacy benefits:
- When writing on the board the youngest kids are developing their fine motor skills.
- As the youngest children see words written down, they will develop the knowledge that print has meaning.
- Kids will most likely sound out the names of their heroes as they write them, developing their phonemic awareness.
- Developing readers will get valuable reading practice by reading the names of the heroes other children write on the board.
- As parents see the board they will most likely talk about it with their children (one of the literacy practices in ECRR2).
- Kids will probably explain why they chose their hero to parents or staff, therefore strengthening their narrative skills.