Thursday, September 11, 2014

Flannel Friday: Baby Bear Sees Blue

For this week's Flannel Friday I am sharing a flannel board I made to go along with one of my favorite picture books: Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolff. This is an adorable story of a baby and mother bear who spend their day exploring the outdoors. They see and identify many colors in their environment, making this a great story for teaching color recognition.

I wanted to make a flannel board out of this story because I thought it would be a good way to emphasize the different colors mentioned. I used templates found online to trace each creature/object that Bear Bear sees out of flannel. I also thought it would fit in well at next week's bear themed storytime.

Here is what I came up with:


First Baby Bear sees the yellow sun. I used a simple circle shape in Microsoft Word to trace the center. The rays were drawn free hand and glued on with craft glue:


Next he sees a green oak leaf:


The blue jay comes after that. I did add a little black with marker, just to match the pictures in the book's illustrations. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up so well in this picture:


The trout is next. His spots were also drawn on with marker:


Then Baby Bear sees red strawberries. This was actually made using a flower petal template I had from a previous flannelboard. Add some seeds with marker and glue on a leaf and you have a strawberry:


My favorite piece comes next, the orange butterfly:


And finally, when the he sees gray clouds, Baby Bear heads home:


I am hosting Flannel Friday this week! Here is this week's roundup. To participate in upcoming roundups, or get more great storytime ideas head over to the Flannel Friday Blog or Pinterest page. You can also follow #flannelstorytime on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment