Thursday, January 1, 2015

Resolve to Rock in 2015!

Now that 2015 is here, Storytime Underground is encouraging youth services librarians to share their professional goals for the new year. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to reflect on what I've accomplished in 2014, and what I hope to work on in 2015.


Highlights of 2014:
  • Starting this blog! In February of 2014 I started this blog to build on my previous storytime blog. It has helped me grow as a professional and become a better librarian in so many ways. I've have enjoyed sharing my thoughts and appreciate you all for reading them.
  • Began a graphics novel collection.
  • Ran a March Reading program for the first time.
  • Had 1,200 kids attend programs for our summer reading program.
  • Started booktalking at local schools.

Goals for 2015:
  • Offer more night and weekend programming. In 2015 I definitely will be trying more to accommodate working families by including more programs that work with their schedule.
  • Expand our graphic novel collection. This is a popular format, and I am determined to find a way to overcome limited shelf space and make it more prominent.
  • I am in the process of starting a collection of Newbery winning books and hope to complete this goal in the next few weeks.
  • I want to try new preschool/toddler programming this year, such as a parachute play program and a dance party. I am going to try to combine this with my first goal by scheduling these as evening programs during storytime breaks.
  • Do more outreach to local preschools. I feel like I am developing a closer relationship with local elementary schools, but need to expand my efforts to younger kids as well.
  • Make changes to our summer reading program. I have been debating how I want to go about this, but haven't come to any firm decisions. For sure I want to make changes to how I do reading logs for the youngest participants. A greater variety of non-reading literacy activities will definitely be included.
  • Add iPads to our children's area. They are great tools to support literacy and technology skills at the library and would be a wonderful addition to our new children's tech center table.
Here's to a great new year!


6 comments:

  1. These are great goals!
    I wanted to share an idea that might help you with your goal for the summer reading logs for the youngest readers. Here at Gail Borden Public Library District, our baby summer reading logs are divided into the 5 elements of Every Child Ready to Read, (reading, writing, singing, playing, dancing). There are 5 corresponding sections of several theme-related graphics that the child can color every time they participate in that section's element. Above each group of graphics is a sentence or two explaining that element and suggests ideas on what activities count towards it (reading a favorite book, singing the ABC song, doodling, play Peek-a-boo, explain the meal you are making to your child, etc).
    It's easy for the parents to keep track of the child's progress while ensuring that they are doing all they can to grow a reader, and it's fun and good writing practice for the child to color/doodle on the shapes.
    I hope this helps! Best of luck towards your goals this year, and most importantly, have fun in the process. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas Alicia! I love the way your library incorporates Every Child Ready to Read. Will definitely be including that in my program. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. What awesome goals! We started dance parties a few months ago and they are truly the highlight of my month. Also, let me know if you have any iPad questions. We've just passed our year mark with them at my library and so far, so good. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! You will definitely be hearing from me regarding the iPads :)

      Delete
  3. PARACHUTES!!!!!! Anytime you want to talk parachutes and dance parties, I'm available. No really, it's my favorite thing to talk about. :)

    These are great goals! Looks like 2015 s going to be quite busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I would love to talk to you about both. Will definitely be getting in touch :)

      Delete