Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fizz, Boom, Read!: Magnifying Glass Early Literacy Center

For a easy science themed early literacy center I decided to do a magnifying glass observation center. The goal of this center is to build children's literacy skills while teaching the science related skill of observation.

Here is the finished product: 


Creating this center was pretty simple. The hardest part was creating the printed materials for it. First I created a sign to promote the center. These materials encourage kids to draw or write what they see under the magnifying glass. I wanted to include both options so that the center could be used by a wide age range.

I borrowed two magnifying glasses and bought one at the dollar store.


For materials to explore I gathered rocks and leaves.



I also brought in some fossils I found on a camping trip a few years ago.


There are also many other cool materials you could include. I especially like the idea of including an ink stamp and paper so kids can examine their fingerprints. I will probably change out materials in this center and/or add new ones throughout the summer.

Feel free to use these ideas and documents however you would like. As always I would love if you shared your thoughts and ideas in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment